Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Inspiration

     I probably never would have gotten up enough courage to post my work for the whole world to see, had it not been for my summer spent at the Kentucky Governor's Scholars Program.  GSP was by far the most close-knit, friendly, enthusiastic, and supportive community that I have ever had the privilege of being a part of.  (Wow, I used "community" and "privilege" in the same sentence.  Shouldn't I receive some kind of award for that, John Kinkade?) 

     But in all seriousness, those are truly the two best words I can find to describe it.  I made some friends that I wouldn't trade for the world, had some awesome teachers that I wish I could have in my normal high school environment, and got an education unlike any classroom experience I have ever been a part of. 

     I immediately loved my focus area, Tony Crunk's Creative Writing & Literary Studies class, pictured below.  These people are true inspirations in themselves.  Keep an eye out for them -- I'm sure there will be some great writers from this very talented group someday! (:

2 comments:

  1. Aww! Thank you so much, Shayna! I was just reveling in your beautiful short story (I love the changes that you made, too) and really, really missing you! Can you believe that it's been over six months since we were there? Wow!

    Keep up your insightful, lovely writing!

    Love,
    Ellen

    P.S.: I'll grant your "community" and "privilege" if John Kinkade won't. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I sent it in as a sample of work for a scholarship application, and that's when I made the changes. It made it a little bit less like a fairy tale and more like real life, I think.

    I miss you! Hope you're still writing!

    ReplyDelete